For Immediate Release
High Winds and Heavy Rain Could Cause Outages
MAYS LANDING, NJ - Thunderstorms carrying high winds and heavy rain are expected to sweep across the Atlantic City Electric service territory late today, which could cause interruptions in electric service.
In advance of this severe weather, the utility urges customers to prepare for the possibility of widespread and extended power outages. To report an outage or other emergency such as a downed wire, pole accident or tree limb on a wire, call 800-833-7476.
Atlantic City Electric urges customers to be safe. Here are some tips:
· Stay away from downed wires. They could be energized and electrical contact could be fatal.
· Avoid crews working in the street. This will help maintain safety in the area and allow crews to focus on restoring service.
· Have adequate prescription medicines or infant supplies on hand.
· If you or someone you know uses life-support equipment that requires electricity to operate, identify an alternate location with emergency power capabilities and make plans to go there during an extended outage if necessary.
· Assemble an emergency "storm kit." Include a battery-powered radio or television, flashlight, a first-aid kit, battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, special needs items, an insulated cooler and a list of important and emergency phone numbers.
· Keep at least a three-day supply of non-perishable foods and bottled water and have a hand-operated can opener.
· Have a telephone with a cord or cell phone to use as a backup. Cordless telephones require electricity to operate, and won't work if there is an outage.
· Protect your electronic equipment. Unplug sensitive electronics or plug computers and other sensitive equipment into surge suppressors, and consider a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for temporary battery backup power.
· Turn off power to flood-prone basement appliances if it is safe to do so. However, if you have an electrically operated sump pump, you should not turn off your power.
· Tune in to local news broadcasts for the latest weather and emergency information.
· Follow the advice of your local emergency management officials.
· Take cover if necessary.
Atlantic City Electric, a public utility owned by Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe, reliable and affordable regulated electric delivery services to more than 547,000 customers in southern New Jersey.