Utility Urges Customers to Plan Ahead
MAYS LANDING, N.J. – The first major snowstorm of the season is expected to hit southern New Jersey this weekend with weather reports calling for a significant accumulation. Atlantic City Electric has adequate crews available in case of power outages. To report outages, call 1-800-333-7476.
Atlantic City Electric urges customers to be safe during the upcoming storm. And, just as the power company prepares to deal with the storm, we recommend that customers also prepare. Here are some tips:
• Assemble emergency “storm kits.” Include a battery-powered radio or television, flashlight, a first-aid kit, battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, non-perishable food, special needs items, such as necessary medications, and a list of important phone numbers.
• Maintain a supply of extra blankets.
• Ensure that each household member has a warm coat, gloves, hat and water-proof boots.
• Make sure your house has a telephone with a cord or cell phone to use as a backup.
Cordless phones require electricity to operate and won’t work if there is a power outage.
• Identify a place to obtain emergency shelter in case of an extended outage.
Atlantic City Electric also strongly urges everyone to follow some important safety tips:
• Never attempt to remove trees or limbs from any utility line. Assume all objects touching a power line are energized.
• If using a portable generator during a power outage, always operate it outside, away from doors and windows to avoid deadly carbon monoxide.
It is important that customers with special needs or their caregivers take responsibility to make arrangements ahead of time to prepare for potentially long-lasting service interruptions.
Additional storm preparation and safety information may be found at www.atlanticcityelectric.com.
Atlantic City Electric, a public utility owned by Atlantic City Electric Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe, reliable and affordable regulated electric delivery services to more than 547,000 customers in southern New Jersey.