• Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where can I find information for installing electrical wiring or equipment connecting to your lines?

    We have issued an Electric Service Handbook as a general guide for our customers, contractors, architects, and engineers who are looking for requirements information. Please note that these do not replace State, County or Municipal codes and regulations.

    How do I contact my local engineering office?

    Our customers must contact us while in the planning phase of their project.Our numbers are listed below.

    Cape May District

    Atlantic City Electric
    420 N Route 9
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    Phone: (609) 463-3823
    Fax: (609) 463-3832

    Glassboro District

    Atlantic City Electric
    428 Ellis Street
    Glassboro, NJ 08028
    Fax: (856) 863-7979


    Phone: (856) 863-7906


    Phone: (856) 863-7926

    Pleasantville District

    Atlantic City Electric
    2542 Fire Road
    Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
    Fax: (609) 645-4788

    Pleasantville/Atlantic City

    Phone: (609) 645-4667

    West Creek/Long Beach Island

    Phone: (609) 294-6727

    Winslow District

    Atlantic City Electric
    Williamstown Junction
    295 N. Grove Street
    Berlin, NJ 08009
    Phone: (856) 753-2808
    Fax: (856) 753-2828

    Do I need to contact you if I want to install emergency standby generation equipment?

    We must always be consulted before installing any electric generating equipment.

    What happens if the existing installation is unsafe?

    If the existing service installation is unsafe by our standards, you will be required to fix the situation within the time period we provide you. If the unsafe situation is not resolved, you may be disconnected.

    Which meter sockets and cabinets can I use?

    You can review our approved residential meter sockets list to know which standard enclosures we allow. Please recall we will not connect to any nonstandard equipment. 

    I am working on drafting or designing my project, where can I get further information?

    For an in-depth look at the requirements and standards, please see the Electric Service Handbook for commercial and customer designs. 

    What format should my submitted electronic files be in?

    All submitted electronic files should be in a .DWG format. The drawings need to be saved back to AutoCAD 2007 or 2000 before submitting. The submitted electronic file should be Geo-referenced. Instead of basing the data on a 000 (X,Y,Z) origin point, the data should use real world coordinates, NAD 1983 HARN UTM ZONE 18N for Maryland and NAD 1983 HARN UTM ZONE 19 for the District of Columbia. You will also need to state what NAD system they are using, NAD 83 State Plane. 

    Which type of vaults can we use?

    Transformer vaults may contain only transformers and their auxiliary equipment. Our customers’ secondary fuses, circuit breakers and our meters cannot be installed in the transformer vault. The vault is not to be used for storage and access by unqualified personnel is prohibited.